Monday 22 November 2010

Fantastic Four: Prime Elements (Review)

Writer: Jonathan Hickman
Artist: Dale Eaglesham
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Collects: Fantastic Four #575-578

With this story, Jonathan Hickman has finally stepped out of the "testing the waters" period that every new writer goes through with iconic titles and firmly stepped into the "doing his own thing" category.

And, boy, do I love it.

Smart, funny, exciting -- this is everything I want from the Fantastic Four.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

I adore sci-fi stories about teams getting pulled into impossible and interesting adventures, and Prime Elements was exactly that. Plus, old enemies asking for help rarely ends well, so when Mole Man pops up (literally) to request assistance with an underground civilization, I was hooked. In hindsight though, I would have preferred a little more from Mole Man.

Prime Elements did not feel like an ordinary superhero sci-fi actioner. It felt a lot more like Big Idea sci-fantasy, a genre I usually stay away from. Thanks to Hickman's perfect grasp on these characters however, as well as some smile-inducing moments of childlike joy (space mission!), I was never lost. And he still manages to throw in a few surprises along with the familiar: Sue becoming an ambassador for all mankind, to name one.

If I have one complaint about the story, it is that it feels like it is merely setting the stage for something bigger. But if this is Hickman's idea of filler, then I can't wait to see what he's got in store.

I'm also finally coming to appreciate Eaglesham's art. Although I still don't like his hair or faces, there's no denying his gift for posing, pacing and placement (the three P's which I just invented). The FF getting led through the underground city is a perfect example of this and of comic book "timing" and their body language is as spot on as Hickman's take on their personalities. I don't know who came up with the idea for Johnny to be wearing shorts in Antarctica, but it was perfectly hilarious and hilariously perfect.

These guys are swiftly becoming one of my favourite creative teams, and I can't wait to see what the future brings from them and for them.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment