Sunday 14 November 2010

Thor: Siege Aftermath (Review)

Writer: Kieron Gillen
Artist: Richard Elson and Doug Braithwaite
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Collects: Thor #179-181, 611-614

At the end of the day, when all the numbers are counted up, I probably lean more favourably towards DC than Marvel. I don't know why, it's just one of those unknowable things.

That said, Thor is both my favourite Marvel character and series (a rare duo). I jumped on the series with J. Michael Straczynski's first trade and instantly loved it. When Kieron Gillen took over writing with Latverian Prometheus I was, like all comics fans are in such circumstances, a little worried.

But he pulled it off. Gillen aptly captured the tone and atmosphere of the series, and annihilated any doubt from my mind. I greatly anticipated his next big Thor story.

Which is why I was somewhat disappointed with Siege Aftermath. Gillen's almost tactical plotting is still present and just as good, but gone is the whimsical, fantastical feeling that made this series so great.

After the Siege of Asgard, Thor and his buddies are picking themselves up and dealing with the emotional fallout caused by the battle as well as Loki's uncharacteristic sacrifice. But, because Loki is Loki, some of his devious plans are still in motion.

Loki's complex, machiavellian-level deal between Hela, Mephisto and the Disir comes to the tragic conclusion he (presumably) hoped for, with a bloody battle in Hell between all parties. Thor and the other Asgardians are pulled in, new alliances are drawn, swords clash, secrets are revealed, the usual mythical battle stuff.

But I guess my problem was that I just didn't care. I'm always comparing Thor to The Lord of the Rings, due to its fantasy elements, but I realise now that that comparison is wrong. In Siege Aftermath, Gillen replaces the delicately-balanced light-but-firm tone with something more intense; more like LOTR. The artwork by Elson and Braithwaite also contributes to this style, almost bordering on the gritty, something Thor should never be.

The characters in Siege Aftermath are almost unrecognisable, and I found myself realising that I did not really care what happened to any of them. When the story concluded, I actually felt relieved. Nevertheless, I'm hoping this was just a bad apple in a largely good barrel, and will give this series at least one more chance. I feel I owe Mr. Gillen that much.

(I should also note that this collection came with some old Stan Lee stories in the back, but I have yet to read them.)

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment