Wednesday 5 January 2011

A-Musing: Things to Look Forward to in 2011

Since I've done one of those nostalgic looks back at the trades of 2010, I thought I might as well do a hopeful look at what's to come in 2011, comics-wise.

This list doesn't just apply to comic books though. Just this once, I'm breaking my usual format to let you know what I'm most excited about in all fields; comics, TV, film, etc. Because this is the Internet, where everyone is equally important. I think that's how it works anyway...

I take absolutely no blame if any of these things turn out to be terrible, by the way. Let none of us forget the disproportionate amount of expectation vs. actual quality regarding the Jonah Hex movie. Also, all of these dates are subject to change. That's not my fault either.

So, what am I looking forward to in 2011?

COMICS

January

Shadowland -- A "mini-event" from Marvel, featuring many of their street-level characters, and centred around Daredevil. It seems like it has been forever since the last DD trade, so I'm eagerly awaiting this with much curiosity.

Nemesis -- After reading some of the material in CLiNT magazine, I must say that Mark Millar's next big story actually looks pretty awesome.

Secret Six: Cat's in the Cradle -- This is one of those "always great" series, and Gail Simone is fast becoming one of my favourite writers.

Batman: Joker's Asylum 2 -- After the incredible first series, I'm sure this second collection will be just as interesting.

February

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne -- He's back! Finally! As much as I have enjoyed the adventures of Dick Grayson, I'm very excited to see the big guy return.

The Flash: The Dastardly Death of the Rogues -- With an amazing creative team on-board, this might just be my most anticpated comic book of the year. I'm a huge Flash-fan, you see.

March

Superman: The Black Ring -- Paul Cornell's acclaimed run on Action Comics featuring Lex Luthor sounds absolutely brilliant.

April

Time Bomb -- From the winning team of Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray, this sci-fi adventure story has me all kinds of eager.

Jonah Hex: Tall Tales -- From the same creative team as above, this is truly one of my favourite series, and always a great read.

May

Birds of Prey: Endrun -- I didn't catch the series before, but with its return, and Gail Simone writing alongside Ed Benes' art, I'm in.

June

Power Girl: Bomb Squad -- The Palmiotti-Gray-Conner run will be tough to beat, but I'm willing to give Winnick and Basri a chance.

Thor: World Eaters -- Matt Fraction seems like a decent guy; can't wait to see his take on the Thunder God.

July

Knight and Squire -- Another one from Paul Cornell, this time his take on a British Batman and Robin.

Green Arrow: Into the Woods -- Been a loooong time since I picked up a Green Arrow trade. Hopefully, this new run is back on track.

August

DC Universe Legacies -- Essentially the (fictional) history of DC's superheroes told from the point of view of an ordinary man. Sounds familiar...

Autumn

Flex Mentallo -- It was very recently announced that this lost series from Grant Morrison (a spin-off from his run on Doom Patrol) is finally getting collected!

FILM

April

Thor -- Yes, the UK gets this one week before the US, just like with the Iron Man films. Aren't we lucky? Honestly, despite being mostly a "DC guy", I'm probably more excited for this movie than any other.

June

Green Lantern -- Not to say that I am not head-over-heels for this one though. It certainly looks awesome.

July

Captain America -- No, I'm not including that silly subtitle. But I am pretty stoked for this. One of Marvel's biggest characters hopefully done well.

August

Cowboys & Aliens -- Han Solo and James Bond in the old west, fighting extraterrestrial invaders? Count me in! Maybe I should check out the comic book too...

T.V.

Spring

Doctor Who -- I know it's not technically comics-related, but I imagine the Venn diagram crossover here isn't too slim. Also, you wanna talk great creative teams, how about the winning combo of Matt Smith and Steven Moffat. Applause.

October (presumably)

The Walking Dead -- After the very, very good first season, I am intrigued as to what's next for this filled-to-the-brim-with-potential show.

VIDEO GAMES

January

DC Universe Online -- In some ways, it feels as though I've been waiting my entire life for this thing. The frequent delays do not help.

???

Batman: Arkham City -- Holy balls, Batman! Did you see that trailer?

EVENTS

April

Kapow Comic Con -- Held in London and featuring a multitude of special guests, they're hoping to make this a British version of the SDCC. I've got my ticket!

August (presumably)

Collectormania, Braehead -- Much more low-key local affair, but with always interesting guests. I missed it in 2010, so I'll definitely be going this year.

Well, that's what 2011 has in store. Did I miss anything? Anyone else care to share their anticipations?

No comments:

Post a Comment